Climbing / Mountaineering
Known more for its biking and skiing, Winter Park nonetheless serves up rock climbing and mountaineering in a high-alpine setting for those willing to search it out.
- Winter Park's two closest rock climbing areas are Hurd Creek and the Empire crags.
- Contact a local outdoor store for the rock climbing book and current conditions.
- Further afield in Rocky Mountain National Park, find classic mountaineering routes on Longs Peak.
Winter Park is near two developed rock climbing crags and several intermediate mountaineering options.
Where to go climbing & mountaineering
- Hurd Creek – Located off a side road between Winter Park and Granby, over two dozen bolted routes crowd Hurd Creek's south and west faces.
- Empire Crags – A dozen different sport, trad and bouldering crags dot the massive rock faces above the town of Empire, about 30 minutes southeast of Winter Park.
- Berthoud Pass – Popular with backcountry skiers, Berthoud, accessed directly from Highway 40 between Winter Park and Interstate 70, also offers a lot of beginner-intermediate mountaineering routes.
- Longs Peak – Head further afield to Rocky Mountain National Park for legendary mountaineering, including multiple rock routes via The Diamond and snow/ice climbing in the Notch Couloir.
Guided Tours & Rentals
For detailed rock climbing route information and local guide referrals, contact one of the Winter Park-area outdoor stores on this page.
- Top Picks
- ATV / Offroad
- Horseback Riding
- Golf Courses
- Whitewater Rafting
- Fun For Kids
- Hiking & Backpacking
- Guides & Tours
- Wagon Rides
- Outdoor Rentals
- Kayak & Canoe
- Alpine Slide
- Motorcycle Tours
- Mtn Boarding
- Camping & RV
- Chair Lift Rides
- Wilderness Outfitters
- Outward Bound - Mountaineering
Young adults will not forget their climbing or mountaineering experience with Outward Bound.
- The Colorado Mountain Club
The Colorado Mountain Club has a mountaineering center that has a library, holds conferences and educational events, and sets up a climbing wall. The club plans events and outings for climbers and mountaineers in Colorado.