The Winter Park area has a few unique ice skating venues, including gliding around on the pond at the Winter Park Base or skating to tunes at Cooper Creek Square.
- Bring your skates and the skating is FREE at the Cooper Creek Square in Winter Park and at the Fraser Valley Recreation Rink in Fraser.
- Rentals are easily available near all of the ice rinks except for the Fraser Valley Recreation Rink.
- Night skating is available at the Winter Park Resort and at Cooper Creek Square.
If you're eager to participate in this fun-for-all-ages activity, there are plenty of places in the Winter Park area to glide, spin and axel jump to your heart's content.
Winter Park Ski Resort (One mile from downtown Winter Park)
Skate, glide and twirl to the music on this pond, with ski mountains and a bustling retail village as the backdrop. The pond is within the Intrawest retail Village, right at the Winter Park Base.
- Directions: From the town of Winter Park, drive South on US Highway 40 toward Berthoud Pass/Denver; at the 2nd stop light, you'll see signs and flags indicating the entrance of the Winter Park Ski Resort. Turn right and drive down Winter Park Drive; you'll drive through the ticket booth and park in the parking garage. The ice skating pond is within the Village, just past the Cheeky Monk restaurant.
- Season/Hours: As conditions permit, though generally ice skating will be available during the ski season (mid-November to mid-April). Hours: 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. Rentals incur an additional cost and are available at Winter Park Resort Rentals, which is right across the courtyard from the ice skating pond.
Adult 1 hour: $13 (Day Time); $16 (Evening)
Child 1 hour: $11 (Day Time); $14 (Evening)
Family (2 Adults, 2 Kids): $38 (Day Time); $49 (Evening)
- Contact Info: 150 Alpenglow Way, Winter Park, CO 80482. Phone: 970-726-1564.
Cooper Creek Square Rink (In downtown Winter Park)
This covered rink has twinkly lights and music, and because it's free, you can skate the entire day away! The rink is located within Cooper Creek Square; it is surrounded by boutiques, restaurants and holiday decorations, making for a spirited ambiance.
- Directions: Turn on Vasquez Road and you'll see the parking garage for the Cooper Creek Square Shopping Complex. Park in there and the rink is the lowest level of the garage, on the street level.
- Season/Hours: As conditions permit, but generally the rink should be operational during ski season (mid-November to mid-April). Hours: The rink is open until 10 p.m. for those skaters with their own skates, but if you're renting skates, the closest rental shop, Christy Sports, is open from 8 a.m. to 9 p.m.
- Cost: There is no fee to skate, so either bring your skates or rent them.
- Contact info: 47 Cooper Creek Way, Winter Park, CO 80482. Phone: 970-726-8891. For rental information, please contact Christy Sports: 970-726-4708 or The Viking Lodge: 970-726-8885.
Fraser Valley Recreation Rink (Two miles from Winter Park)
This outdoor rink will have a brand new roof over it by late November 2010, so though still exposed, skaters can be shielded from the elements and enjoy themselves anytime of day.
- Directions: From Winter Park, drive West on US Highway 40 into Fraser. Make a left onto County Road 5 and then a right into the Fraser Valley Recreational District parking lot (near the ball fields).
- Season/Hours: The rink should be operational by the end of November, but operational hours and closure dates are yet to be determined.
- Cost: There is no fee to skate, but you must bring your own skates.
- Contact Info: 500 County Road 5, Fraser, CO 80442. Phone: 970-726-4708.
Devil's Thumb Ranch (Eleven miles from Winter Park)
This quaint custom outdoor ice skating rink can be found right outside of the main lodge, where skaters will be surrounded by the Continental Divide and the lively scenes of a popular nordic center. Guests and locals are welcome and one fee allows a skater to enjoy the rink all day!
- Directions: From Winter Park, drive West on US Highway 40 toward Fraser/Tabernash. Before you get to the bridge leading into Tabernash, turn right onto County Road 83. Follow this road for about two miles until you reach the resort.
- Season/Hours: As conditions permit, but generally it should be operational during ski season (late November into mid-April). Hours: 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.
- Cost: $10 to skate all-day (includes rentals)
- Contact Info: 3530 County Road 83, Tabernash, CO 80478. Phone: 970-726-8231 or 800-933-4339.
and Travel Updates