- Old mining roads and railroad grades make for scenic off-roading and also access exciting ATV trails.
- Days of riding await on Rollins Pass and Byers Peak, both spitting distance from Winter Park village.
- Check local conditions before embarking into high-alpine environments.
- Find a guided ATV/Jeep tour or rent one from a Winter Park-area outfitter.
Two excellent 4-wheel drive roads are located right outside Winter Park village, both of which link up to more difficult trails. The nearby town of Empire also has excellent off-roading.
Where to go ATV and Off Roading
- Rollins Pass – Just outside Winter Park, this scenic 28-mile drive follows an old railroad grade and links to the more intimidating Boulder Wagon Road and gnarly Broken Thumb Trail. SUVs allowed on main road.
- Byers Peak – Right outside Winter Park, fourteen mellow miles reach some great ATV trails.
- Jones Pass – Starting in nearby Empire, expect snow well into summer on this narrow and steep 12,453-foot pass with commanding 360-degree views. SUVs allowed on main road.
Guided Tours & Rentals
Local ATV providers will set you up with a guided tour or meet you at the trailhead with a rental rig. Contact companies on this page for more information.